OHLAP Information

Now is the time to enroll in the Oklahoma Higher Learning Access Program, Oklahoma's Promise!!

Help for College:
The Oklahoma Legislature has set up a fund that will pay for students' college tuition if their parent's total yearly income is not more than $50,000. This program is called Oklahoma's Promise, formerly (OHLAP).

How it Works:

You can sign up for the program starting in 8th grade. You should start early so that you can get ready for college by taking high school courses that will help you be successful. You must take these courses and earn good grades. Below you will find the requirements to earn an OHLAP scholarship:

* Graduate from an Oklahoma high school

* Take the 17 units of high school courses listed below

Required Courses:
4 units of English
3 units of Math (Algebra 1 and above) 
3units of Lab Science 
3units of History
2 units of the same Foreign or non-English Language OR 2 Computer Technology, must be 2 of the same
1 additional unit of the subjects listed above

1 unit of Fine Arts (music, art, or drama) OR Speech

* Maintain at least a 2.5 GPA in those courses
* Attend school regularly
* Do your homework.
* Stay away from drugs and alcohol.
* Don't commit criminal or delinquent acts
* Meet with a school official to go over your school work and records on a regular basis
* Provide information when requested your senior year of high school
* Take part in OKPromise activities that will prepare you for college


Parents Can Help:
Parents, custodians or legal guardians must supply proof of income, sign an agreement and promise to help you successfully reach the goals of the program.

The Benefits:
Once you've completed the program's requirements and been accepted into the OKPromise program , it will pay your tuition at any Oklahoma public two-year college or four-year university. It will also cover at least a portion of tuition at an accredited private college or university or for courses offered at public technology centers that qualify for credit from a public two-year college. (The OKPromise scholarship amount does not cover items such as fees, books, supplies, or room and board.)

Who Can Apply

You must be an Oklahoma resident.
You can apply during your 8th, 9th, or 10th grade year
Your parents, custodians, or legal guardians must earn $50,000 or less per year at the time of application

Where to Apply:
You can get an OKPromise application from your school counselor or from Oklahoma Higher Education's web site www.okpromise.org . You may also call the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education's information hotline at 1-800-858-1840 and they'll help you get signed up.